Historical photo of unit block of W Hastings
This photo shows the unit block of West Hastings Street looking east towards Carrall Street in 1908. The building on the left is the Chelsea Inn (33 West Hastings) where Lost + Found Cafe is now located. Comparing the photo and the current building, you can identify the similar window placements while some architectural elements from the roof have been removed.
Further down the block is the building that now houses part of the Army & Navy. It was originally an outlet for Frederick Buscombe & Co which sold china and glassware. Frederick Buscombe also served as the 11th Mayor for the City of Vancouver from 1905 to 1906.
Footnote: Located across the street from the current Army & Navy was the former home of the Pantages Theatre at 20 West Hastings Street (this was the second location in Vancouver and got torn down in 1967 to make way for a parking lot). The building on the left is the Burns Block building which is still there.
Built in 1917 as a vaudeville house it went through numerous name changes over the years and switching over to showing films. When the photo was taken in April 1950 it was known as the Hastings Odeon Theatre. The building cost over $256,000 when it was built making it the most expensive theatre in the city at the time.
Before it got turned into a parking lot along with movies, several live acts performed at the theatre including Charlie Chaplin, Stan Laurel, Cary Grant, Babe Ruth, Jack Dempsey, Texas Guinan and Duke Ellington.
Credit: VPL Special Collections, Accession Number: 81231