Vancouver Cafes in 2013
The Opening Soon page on CafeYVR ended up being quite large with twenty two new openings in 2013.
- While most cafes are located on major streets it's a toss up between three new cafes for being off the beaten path: Far Out Coffee Post on the corner of Nanaimo & Dundas, Cafe Joie near Kingsway across from Metropolis at Metrotown and the just opened Tigers Drink House on East 15th Avenue.
- A short list of some new cafes in 2013 that were serving up coffee from American roasters include Aperture Coffee Bar and East Cafe with coffee from Intelligentsia. Platform 7 ended up being the only place in Vancouver with Stumptown Coffee after the Heather Hospitality Group switched to Matchstick Coffee Roasters this year. There was one new roastery on the list with East Van Roasters with their own chocolate and coffee production facility in their Gastown space.
- There were also a bunch of "second location" openings in 2013 with 49th Parallel Coffee re-opening in their new space in Kitsilano, Coffeebar in Ambleside, Musette Caffè Chinatown and Faubourg. This tradition will continue in 2014 with new second locations from Matchstick, Momento Coffee House and a third for Faubourg.
- After experimenting with their "popup" locations, Cartems Donuterie and Earnest Ice Cream opened up their new retail spaces in 2013. Both chose to go with Matchstick Coffee while Earnest going with espresso drinks including an affogato and Cartems eschewed pre-brewed coffee with every cup being prepared on Chemex pourover brewers.
- JJ Bean Coffee managed to open three cafes in 2013 including their gorgeous new space in the Marine Building. They're on the list in 2014 already with a new location in the West End.
And a few images selected from the twenty-four cafes featured on CafeYVR in 2013:
Archive - Revolver Coffee's new retail space located next door to the cafe with more seating
Tigers Drink House - Serving up Elysian Coffee
Musette Caffè Chinatown - Their second location opening in Chinatown and it will be licensed
Cartems Donuterie - New space will include coffee from Matchstick Coffee Roasters
Platform 7 - New cafe next door to Tacofino serving Stumptown Coffee
JJ Bean False Creek - Inside the Wall Centre False Creek development in the Olympic Village
Earnest Ice Cream - New ice cream parlour and cafe with coffee from Matchstick Coffee Roasters
Faubourg - Their second location on Hornby across from the Vancouver Art Gallery
Cafe Joie - New cafe serving macrons, coffee buns and JJ Bean near Metropolis at Metrotown
Tandem Bike Cafe - Cafe and bicycle shop serving Moja Coffee
49th Parallel Roasters Kitsilano - Taking Kits Coffee Company's old location and will also include a Lucky's Doughnuts
Abode Restaurant - With coffee from Elysian Coffee
East Cafe - With coffee from Intelligentsia and Oughtred Coffee
Aperture Coffee Bar - Coffee from Intelligentsia
East Van Roasters - Social enterprise from the PHS Community Services Society
JJ Bean Coffee Fraser - Inside the new Fraser and 27th condo development
Black Echo Coffee - Coffee bar inside of the Global Atomic Designs boutique in Yaletown
Rainier Provisions - From the Heather Hospitality Group
Coffeebar Ambleside - Coffeebar's second location
Lost + Found Cafe - Coffee from Republica Coffee Roasters
Far Out Coffee Post - Serving up Origins Coffee on the corner of Nanaimo & Dundas
JJ Bean Marine Building - Their new location inside the Marine Building