East Cafe

"Keeping the faith, one cup at a time."



Update July 2014: Dalyn and Zoltan announced that they sold the cafe to new owners Eric and Tomo which included a switch from Intelligentsia to using coffee from West End Coffee Roasters

Located at the corner of East Hastings and Nanaimo, East Cafe is serving up great coffee while also paying homage to the history of the neighbourhood. Starting with the beautiful hand painted sign on the windows outside, you are drawn into a surprisingly large space that holds an interesting detail in every corner of the cafe.

The cafe uses beans from West End Coffee Roasters which is roasted out in Vancouver and prepared on their La Marzocco Linea 3AV.



Shop Trivia

  • Originally known as New Brighton the area was popular with vacationers from New Westminister. It was renamed to Hastings Townsite in 1869 and it wasn't until after the mid-1940s when a subdivision called Sunrise Ridge was built in the community that the area began to be referred to as Hastings-Sunrise.
  • The bicycles behind the bar were a series of bikes produced by England's Raleigh Bikes called the Raleigh Choppers starting in 1969. They have a Canadian connection with Raleigh being used by Eaton's to manufacture bicycles for their mail order catalogue including the choppers.
  • The building housing East Cafe was built in 1913. 
  • The "No Daytons Allowed" signs were a staple of some British Columbia bars. The ban wasn't a fashion critique, but bar owners associated the boots with troublemakers who would use their boots to stomp on other patrons during fights. 
  • Opened May 6, 2013.
  • The cast iron coffee mill at the front of cafe was used in the early to mid 1900s by retail stores to grind coffee. The machine contains a burr grinder was built by B.C. Holwick in Canton, Ohio. Bramwell C. Holwick received a patent #US000927971 for their coffee mill in July 1909.
  • Down the block at the Chinese-Canadian diner Master Chef Cafe you can find a bit of Vancouver coffee history with the Neate's Coffee sticker on the Grindmaster coffee grinder. Neate's Coffee was founded by Francois Neate in 1945 which he ran with his son John Sr. supplying Vancouver restaurants and stores with coffee. His grandson, John Neate, who also later worked in the family business later went on to found JJ Bean Coffee in 1996.


East Cafe | eastcafe.ca | 2401 East Hastings Street, Vancouver V5K 1Y8 | 604-559-6400

Corner of East Hastings & Nanaimo

Weekdays 7AM - 7PM

Saturdays 8AM - 7PM

Sundays 8AM - 5PM



Social, Links, Interviews

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Vancouver Sun: Mom and pop shops still a staple in the neighbourhood

"Zoltan, who’s worked as a vintage scooter mechanic and espresso machine repairer, previoulsy owned much of the cafe’s memorabilia — the weathered time card holder from Dayton Boots, a Viewmaster slide of Vancouver images, and The Young Canadians and D.O.A. gig posters."

Vancouver Courier: Hastings Street runs through colonial history


Video interview from the Vancouver Courier article on East Cafe: