Historical photo of East 13th/Main
In this photo you can see the current home of 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters' cafe in Mount Pleasant which used to be the Pinky Coin-Operated Laundromat and Dry Cleaner. The photo was taken by the City of Vancouver's planning department from sometime between 1965 and 1980.
Located next door was Bert's Restaurant which was a main stay of the neighbourhood until it closed in January 2012:
"The Srigleys opened Bert’s in 1948 as a 24-hour coffee shop catering to shiftworkers from the streetcar barn that once sat across the road where the IGA islocated today. For the next 63 years, Bert’s fed blue-collar workers andfamilies even as the Main Street neighbourhood surrounding it changed and grewalong with the rest of the city—and the streetcar went the way of the dodo."
Up a few blocks on Main Street is the Edwardian Heritge Hall which was built in 1915 to serve as the new post office for the area. The building was known as Post Office Station C and was designed by A. Campbell Hope, It was later used for offices by the Department of Agriculture and the RCMP. Heritage Hall is now owned by the City of Vancouver and run by the Heritage Hall Preservation Society,